We allow all employees the opportunity to freelance or take on a side job in addition to their work here. But with that being said, we don’t encourage freelancing or side jobs.If you take on either, we require that you let [your manager/HR] know that your bandwidth and schedule has changed as soon as possible - even if you do not anticipate it impacting your role here.You are expected to treat your position with us as your primary job. We expect you to prioritize your projects with us over your other job(s).However, working one-off jobs here and there is not considered freelancing or a side job. There is no need to let your manager know if you are:
- Working one shift now and again at a family member’s or friend’s business
- Working on a one-off freelance project
- Volunteering routinely
There are a few cases of freelancing and side jobs are not allowed, including:
- Accepting a job offer/ working for a competitor. This could easily violate your non-compete agreement, not to mention our confidentiality policy is always in place.
- Working a job with hours that overlap with your primary job. If the second position schedules you to work when you are expected to be with us, you may face disciplinary actions. You must complete work for us the hours you are at [company name] (not including breaks).
- Take on a second job that is too demanding. If this position or project begins to negatively affect your work at your primary job (like if you are always exhausted), this may come back in your performance reviews. If the impact is severe, we may take disciplinary actions.
Working a job that creates a conflict of interest. Accepting a job/project with our company’s clients/vendors/contractors outside of your position at [company name] will most likely create a conflict of interest. Starting a business in direct competition with us while working here is considered a significant conflict of interest.Please note: This policy only applies to legal jobs. If you take on any illegal work (for example, dealing drugs), your employment may be terminated immediately. If you use our company’s equipment to assist in these criminal endeavors, it is in our power to take legal action against you after your termination.